Five Best Cordless Angle Grinders
DISCLAIMER: THERE ARE AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST. THIS MEANS THAT AT NO COST TO YOU, WE WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH OUR LINK. YOU MAY READ FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Over the years, we have seen some huge advancements in technology and many of these changes come from improved batteries. In years gone by, we had to be careful with power tools because there would be a lead plugged into the wall. Nowadays, batteries mean more freedom and the boundaries can be explored somewhat.
Of course, the corded versions will not be replaced just yet because of time limits on the batteries. However, cordless grinders have now made enough ground to be considered ‘useful’ because they are easy to use, convenient, and reliable. When buying a cordless angle grinder, the battery capacity is something you will need to know because this will determine how frequently it will need to be charged.
In the market today, there are some fantastic options at a very good quality which means that you can buy a tool that matches your needs instead of having to sacrifice certain features. Furthermore, they no longer have to cost the world because more manufacturers are developing products at different price points. Today, we have some fantastic tips on features you need to check as well as examples of superb grinders on the market.
When choosing a cordless grinder, the size of the grinding disk will be one of the first things you should check. After this, you should know the top speed of the spin, battery information, and any other features. Once again, it all comes down to your needs because a cost effective option would be a naked grinder assuming that you have enough 18v li-ion batteries around. If not, others may suit your needs.
Remember, safety is key with a grinder because you will be in control of heavy equipment where an abrasive disk spins at frightening speeds. Therefore, you need to be sure that the electronics will monitor the battery and the motor to remain in control. This way, there will be no unnecessary stress on either of these vital features.
Five Best Cordless Angle Grinders Review
As promised, we now have some of the best angle grinder products on the market which will be worth your consideration!
1. Dewalt DCG412B 20V Cordless Sngle Grinder
As a favorite for contractors, electricians, and various other professionals, this model is impressive in performance and is known for its reliability. Additionally, it can be used for a number of tasks including maintenance operations. In terms of design, it can take a knock or two and still remain in a fantastic condition which is important in this industry. Once you know you can rely on machinery to last the test of time, you can be confident that you won’t have any problems. Also, it is important to note that it will come with a three-year warranty.
- 8,000 RPM motor provides high power for cutting and grinding applications
- Quick-Change Wheel Release allows for tool free wheel changes
- 2-finger trigger switch with easy lock-off button
- 2-position side handle for greater control, comfort, and versatility
- With five-inch guards, the tool will work with different wheels
- Grinder and cut-off guards are separate
- Fatigue comes from having to hold onto the trigger
- Quite a bulky design which makes the unit heavy
- Following curves can be difficult as the grip is right at the back
Overall, this is a fantastic tool and the slower motor helps significantly with the torque. However, the bulky design should be considered because this, coupled with the trigger, can make it a bit more difficult to use compared to others we have on this list.
2. Makita XAG03Z 18V LXT cordless angle grinder
With an 18V LXT lithium-ion battery, this is a superb model that stays powered for much longer than many others on the market. Although the battery is sold separately to this Makita product, it has increased speed and power. Furthermore, you will find an optimized performance thanks to the ‘Speed Change Technology’. Essentially, this means that the torque and speed will both adjust throughout the operation. Whether it is sanding, grinding, or cutting you require, this product works very well on many different materials.
- Automatic Speed Change technology adjusts speed and torque during operation
- The BL Brushless Motor enables the BL Motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life
- Efficient BL Brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use
- The electronically-controlled BL Brushless Motor efficiently uses energy to match torque and RPM to the changing demands of the application
- Similar to 5-amp motor in power
- Very fast charge for the battery
- Efficient brushless motor
- Product will not turn on if the battery is inserted while the switch is activated
- Overload switch can be sensitive
- Machine sometimes slows when cutting
- Towards the more expensive end of the market
Considering this is a rare example of brushless models within the market, it has a long battery life and is extremely effective. However, it can’t quite compete with the 13-amp examples we see for everyday use.
3. Milwaukee 2780-20 M18 Cordless Angle Grinder
Thanks to a superb design and reliability, this is a favorite for many professionals. Within the design itself, you can clearly see that it can take sustained use with the overload protection and it also stays free from debris and dirt which means it will last for years to come. If you will be using the tool on an almost daily basis, this is definitely one to consider. With a four-pole motor and many other useful features, it will shine through even the toughest challenges.
- POWERSTATE brushless motor delivers maximum power and up to 10X longer motor life
- REDLINK PLUS intelligence provides optimized performance, electronic clutch, and overload protection using total system communication between tool, battery, and charger
- Making all accessory changes and guard adjustments without a wrench for increased productivity
- The product is easy to use and easy to handle
- Highly durable product
- Cut-off guards are separated from grinder
- Motor brake is particularly fast
- Rear handle covered in rubber for a comfortable experience
- Many wheels can be used because of the 5-inch guard
- Front handle and slender have rubber brushings
- Motor is protected by filter screen
- No wrench required for wheel nut
- Since it is quite long, it can be hard to maneuver at times
Along with the Dewalt model we saw last time, this is one of the best options you will find and it also comes with many accessories for personalized use.
4. Ryobi P421 18 V Cordless Angle Grinder
With up to 6,500 rpm, this model has a great balance between accuracy and speed. When you have particularly tricky tasks at hand, the trigger switch is nicely placed to adjust the power whenever required. With this in mind, you have great control regardless of what materials you are using and this is always a great feature to have. Although there are no batteries with the grinder, you can buy a battery and charger set to fit as long as it is in the Ryobi One+ range.
If you use 4-inch grinders for long periods, the Ryobi P421 should remain comfortable throughout because it uses the GripZone feature which is now synonymous with Ryobi products. Even after this, you can adjust the handle for ultimate control.
- Works with all Ryobi 18-volt ONE+ batteries and charger
- Convenient and intuitive trigger switch
- Tool-free guard makes guard positioning easy
- GripZone overmold for improved comfort with a 3-position side handle
- Great product for tasks around the house or light use
- Good battery life
- Works best when you have two batteries
- Not quite as powerful as the other models we have shown
- Isn’t designed for professional use
- Outer casing looks cheap with plastic and various colors
As long as you go into this one knowing its limitations, it makes for a great cordless grinder. If you don’t need it as a professional, it is affordable and efficient. Although there are models with more power, they can be good for beginners and first-time owners.
5. Bosch CAG180B 18V Cordless Angle Grinder
Finally, we have a product from one of the most well-known names in the world. When it comes to cordless options, this is one of the most powerful grinders on the market and it has a four-brush motor as well as a superb gear design. Whether you need it for metal, tile, or any other material, you will benefit from a 0 to 10,000 no-load PRM. Furthermore, it weighs just over five pounds which makes it easy to use and control.
Safety also seems to be important as the Bosch product protects the user from fragments through a wheel guard, accident startup is prevented, and it also boasts many other safety features. When you order, you will even receive a carrying case and an insert tray.
- Highest performance 4-pole motor powers through cutting and grinding applications in metal, masonry and tile
- A lightweight design with short length for least amount of user fatigue
- Utilizes FPS and ECP technology, works with Slimpacks or Fat Packs, and monitors the battery to reach maximum battery life
- 10,000 RPM optimized gear design provides the best combination of speed and power
- Switch is out of the way for safety reasons
- Light and easy to use
- Cut-off guards and grinder are separated
- The guard can only be adjusted with a wrench
Although it is a little slower under load than the other suggestions we have had, it has an abundance of power and lasts a good amount of time with each charge.
There we have it, the top five cordless angle grinders on the market. Whether you choose one of these or use the list as inspiration, you should now be in a better position to choose a great cordless angle grinder moving forward!